38 Aldborough Avenue, St. Thomas, Ontario, N5R 4T1
United Church of Canada
Rev. Jim Phone: 519-860-1161
Church Phone: 519-631-5705
Minister of Word, Sacrament and Pastoral Care:
Reverend James (Jim) Evans, B.A.A., M. Div.
This picture was taken on June 16, 2013.
St. Mark’s United Church was built in 1965.
The establishing of a United Church in the new Homedale subdivision became evident in 1951, by survey when 250 homes are built.
The sod was turned for the church on Easter 1953. The building was dedicated on Sept. 20, 1953. In June 1954, Homedale aligned with Yarmouth Centre and Townline United Churches becoming a three point charge. In 1958, Homedale realigned with St. Andrew’s to become a two point charge. Homedale was no longer large enough to hold services in 1961, so the Auditorium of the Elgin Court Public School was rented for Sunday services. The site for a new church was chosen at the corner of Holland and Aldborough Streets. A brick church, with a tower entrance, and a seating capacity of 500, was dedicated on Feb. 14, 1965, and named St. Mark’s United Church. A de consecration service was held at the Homedale Church on June 20, 1965.
A vote was held at a congregational meeting on June 2, 2013 and as of January 1, 2014, we are officially merging the Congregation of St. Mark’s United Church and the Congregation of Grace United Church together.